Scott Berkun's Creative Thinking Hacks
Take aways from the essay:
1. Scott's emphasis on debunking the myths and glamors surrounding creative thinking and stressing that "an idea is a combination of other ideas." ie. Keep it simple, keep it in reach.
2. This quote:
"All great creative ideas, inventions, and theories are comprised of other ideas. Why should you care? Here’s why: if you want to be a creator instead of a mere consumer you must see ideas currently in the world as fuel for your mind. You must stop seeing them as objects or functional things: they are combinations of ingredients waiting for reuse."
3. Solution to feeling uncreative: expand your awareness of the combinations available to you.
4. Creative masters develop "reusable combinations, or patterns, that can be used again and again to develop new ideas or modify old ones. "
5. Developing fearlessness with regard to creative thinking: "Being creative has more to do with being fearless than intelligent, brilliant or any other adjective superficially associated with creativity."
6. The importance of self-knowledge in the creative process.
7. Persistence: being there at 9AM ready to work regardless of whether you feel inspired. Creating inspiration through action, through DOING IT!
Check it out here: